What is a COC?
Ordinary Plumbing COC – Required By Local Authorities:
This COC is required by the Local Authority, such as the Cape Town City Council, upon the sale of any immovable property, before the ownership is transferred.
A COC inspection is carried out and is a pre -requisite to all property ownership transfers.
A plumbing (PIRB) COC is a means by which a Plumbing Industry Registration Board (PIRB) licenced plumber self certifies that their work complies with all the current plumbing regulations and laws as defined by the National Compulsory Standards and Local Bylaws.
COC’s may only be purchased and used by a registered and approved PIRB licensed persons and at the time of purchase the COC is captured against the PIRB licencsed plumber, and becomes their responsibility.
Upon issuing of a COC the PIRB licensed plumber has to within 5 days lodge the relevant COC into the PIRB’s Plumbing Auditing System.
Random Audits are conducted to ensure Standards are complied with.
Jobs which require a COC (PIRB):
Where the total value of the work, including labour, material and VAT, is more than R1500. (Material costs must be included, regardless of whether the material was supplied by another person. A COC must be issued for the following:
- When an Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of Hot Water Systems and/or Components is carried out.
- When an Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of Cold Water Systems and/or Components is carried out.
- Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of Sanitary-ware and Sanitary-fittings is carried out.
- Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of a Solar Water Heating System, or Heat Pump is carried out.
- Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of a Below-ground drainage system.
- Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of an Above-ground drainage system.
- Installation, Replacement and/or Repair of a Rain Water Disposal System.
Any work that requires the installation, replacement and/or repair of an Electrical/Solar hot water cylinder, valves, or components must have a COC issued to the consumer, regardless of the cost.
Seal Plumbing is PIRB registered and is available to do COC inspections, and carry out any necessary repair or replacements to ensure your peace of mind when issued a COC.